Saturday 23 June 2012

Across The Divide

In Ely we have a wonderful shop called the Ships Chandler and I have long wanted to buy something from it if only I had an excuse. Anyway, I was passing the other day and saw some tiny white sailing boats in the window and I went in and purchased one. I had used another small model boat in my painting 'In Three Our Kingdom' but it had got lost in the move from Great Shelford. In the painting it is used as a symbol of death - sailing to the other side. I used it to symbolise Richard's death and his lack of interest in earthly goods. I also used another boat, this time sailing in the air, rather like in the Norwegian churches, as a reference to Arthur in a painting after his demise - called 'Encore!' You can see these and learn more when you next visit Ted Coney's Family Portraits.
P.S. My next but one painting, which is in the planning stage, also uses sailing boats and Julia is knitting me some. This painting will have a slightly jollier theme - all about hope and arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment