Friday 2 May 2014

Worth A Thousand Words?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but when it comes to a press photo, I am not so sure.
To launch my exhibition at the Babylon Gallery the press came and insisted on taking a picture of me with Mr.Turnip (you can see the picture and story in the REVIEWS section of my NEWS AND REVIEWS page, on my website).
 As Mr. Turnip is a marionette, I suggested that  they should take our picture infront of my painting  'Diamonds', in which he appears.
 Unfortunately, when the article appeared, there was no mention in the text, of who he was  and the painting behind us was out of focus, so you couldn't see the connection.
Curiously, Mr Turnip and I look similar in the photograph, but that is because I forgot to brush my hair and has no bearing on the story!
A similar confusion happened this week. I have a small display in an upmarket wool shop in the market square, centred around my painting 'If The Boats Come In'. The connection between the painting and wool is that the work is all about family ties and unravelling threads. The press duly ran the story but put in an old photo of me with another of my paintings entitled 'Limners'. As this is about our 37 days of Christmas, anyone reading it, must have been a bit mystified.
However, I am grateful for the press helping me to advertise the opening of
Ted Coney's Family Portraits on 11th May, so I mustn't sound too critical.

No comments:

Post a Comment