Friday 28 November 2014

Not Just Mussels and Chips

We've just had a long weekend in Brussels and one of the things I enjoyed  most was Magritte's house, where he lived with his wife for many years. It amused me to hear that although he built a shed in the garden to do his painting, he often retreated to the kitchen to work, as it was warmer. I know the feeling!
We also saw a wonderful exhibition of religious paintings from Siena and I noted down how the artists had pierced through the gold leaf to portray intricate patterns. An idea I want to develop for the shadow puppets in my next painting,
 'Against The Light' .
In the Musee Fin-de-Siecle we also saw some interesting James Ensor paintings and drawings of silhouettes and masks which will also  be useful.
And the mussels? Definitely bigger and more delicious then those you find in the UK. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment