Saturday 27 December 2014

A Bit Of A Drama

Just before Christmas, we went to see the excellent film 'Mr Turner', which is about the life of the famous English artist.
It amused me to see in the film, how Turner made possible buyers wait in semi darkness, before throwing open the doors of his studio to reveal his paintings in strong light.
In a way, I do something similar to my visitors when they enter
 Ted Coney's Family Portraits. I keep them huddled in the cloakroom, watching an introductory film before letting them enter a darkened dining room. There on an easel is a single painting, illuminated by spot lights. This painting 'Life Cycle' is the first work I did about the family in 1969 and I always start my story with this, regardless of which tour I am doing.
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment