Thursday 22 June 2017

Overdrawn

We've just been to Amsterdam and spent lots of time in all the wonderful galleries there.  One of my favourite places of the trip was visiting Rembrandt's house.
Although most of the original decorations, inside structure and furnishings have gone, they have tried to put it back to exactly how it was when Rembrandt owned it.
The space that particularly intrigued me was his room of objects. Things he had collected and often used in his paintings. Apparently, his collecting got completely out of hand and he spent too much and couldn't pay the mortgage. He end up selling most of them and had to go into rented accommodation.
A salutary thought. Ofcourse I have a room of objects which I have used in my paintings and are shown  as part of my guided tours around Ted Coney's Family Portraits.
I shall need to be careful, though even the puppet theatre only cost £5  in 1970.

No comments:

Post a Comment