Thursday 3 July 2014

Upside Down and Out of Focus

Have been working on my latest painting 'The Rashomon Effect', recently. I think I've got most areas working now except for the view into the bedroom by my grandmothers ex- fiancĂ©e. I have added to the area inside the magnifying glass several times but have finally  painted it all out. I wanted it to appear out of focus as seen by an unsteady eye, but it just looks a mess!
When I made studies with the magnifying glass from a distance during my research, I discovered that the image appears upside down and smaller than the area around it.
I want to use this effect in the painting, to show that the old man's view of the room will be disorientated, yet still focusing on the bed.
You can see my effects so far, on the NEWS AND REVIEWS page of my website. I'll keep persevering.

No comments:

Post a Comment