Saturday 2 March 2019

Wilful or Stubborn?

We've had a visit from my nephew and his young family recently and I gave them a tour around my pop-up gallery. He was particularly interested to know about the painting ' David's Journey ' which I made to mark his fathers 50th. birthday, twenty seven years ago. (you can see the painting in the PRINTS FOR SALE page on my website)
In it, I portrayed my brother as Muffin the Mule, whom I saw as an icon of 1940s television, when David was born. I was interested in the symbolism surrounding different animals and used all Muffin's friends to represent various members of the family. My sister-in-law was not best pleased to be portrayed as a hippopotamus until I explained  that it was a great honour as this animal symbolised the great earth mother in some cultures.
My nephew was keen to know what I had chosen to represent him but at the time I could not remember. However after looking through about twenty old sketchbooks I finally found the information. I had chosen Peter the Pup to be his animal as the dog symbolised wilfulness although to be fair, I think stubbornness might have suited my ten year old nephew, better.
 I was running out of animals  to represent the family, so I hope he will forgive me this character assassination.

No comments:

Post a Comment