Monday 2 May 2022

What Makes A Studio?

 I've just been to London, to the Whitechapel Art Gallery to see an exhibition entitled ' A Century of the Artist's Studio'. It proved a fascinating look inside different types of spaces from the kitchen table affair to the converted aircraft hanger.

I was reminded of my first artists 'space' after we were married, when I had a corner of our living room to paint in.

I inherited a large designers drawing board (which I still use today) and kept an old tea trolley underneath it with all my paints on.  This was handy when we had three young children, as not only could I keep looking at my work in progress when I was rushing by to change a nappy or stop a fight but also I could snatch a few minutes to paint, once I had pulled the trolley out.

When we moved to Ely I was able to have my own studio by converting half the garage (see photos on my latest Facebook and Instagram posts) but to begin with, I missed all the noise and chaos swirling around  that comes with family life.

It was like being sent to your room to do  homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment