Saturday, 1 May 2010
Third Time Lucky!
This blog is to bring you up to-date with progress on my latest painting TEA FOR 222. I want to put a thin membrane of wax on the canvas to separate the two images. I have used Encaustic Wax before in my paintings, but always in a very textured way (see NAMESAKE and 3001). This time I want it to be very smooth, so that the underneath images show through the translucent surface. The annoying thing was that each time I tried it on a practise canvas, it just wouldn't set. Anyway, on the third go I increased the amount of wax to the amount of Damar Varnish and Stand Oil and it worked! The next trick is to try to get it really smooth on a much larger surface, but I'll keep you posted on that one. Best Wishes Ted