Friday 20 January 2017

Family Secrets

I've just finished reading a  non fiction book entitled 'Family Secrets' which appeared in my Christmas stocking this year. (I think Hazel acquired it from a charity shop).
I was particularly interested in the chapter on illegitimacy, entitled 'Other Peoples Bastards' because after my father died we discovered that he was born out of wedlock. This was considered very shameful and must have been a great burden for him to carry all his life.
I made a painting about it entitled 'Namesake' and tried to demonstrate  that this stigma is now irrelevant and everyone wears their name with pride.
I did this by listing all the members of the family, showing some  who chose to keep their surname even when married and others who have partners and keep the name they were born with.
You can see a section of this painting through on of my 'keyhole' logos on the PRINTS FOR SALE page. And ofcourse you can see the real thing when I reopen in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment