Wednesday 3 October 2018

Before The Court

Researching for my next painting ' Who Stole The Toothpaste ?' has taken me to Ely Courthouse to make observational studies.
This building was erected in the 1800s and only closed a few years ago and is a chilling reminder of how justice was dispensed.
I have been making drawings in the main courtroom and have tried to get the best angle to convey the power of the judge. This involved me getting into the same position as the prisoner would have been so that I was looking up at the bench  (as I think it's called).
After several goes at drawing I made a big watercolour to try and capture the cold green colour against flashes of deep pink which seemed to dominate the room.
These studies will hopefully form the basis of a painting I plan to do about my reckless ancestors who lost all the family money many years ago.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment