Friday 25 January 2019

Wayfarers All

I'm re-reading 'The Wind In The Willows' at the moment (I got it for Christmas) and enjoying it immensely.
I particularly asked for the edition with Arthur Rackham's illustrations because I wanted to compare them with E.H. Shepard's version, which I'd studied previously.
Shephard had reputedly used Ely courthouse to inspire his drawings of Toad on trial and I have been making my own drawings of this, in preparation for my painting 'Who Stole The Toothpaste'.
However, although I love Shepard's sparky images of Toad, I feel that Rackham's more painterly style is nearer to what I want  in my work.
When I was teaching at the Sixth Form College, I discovered an original drawing by Arthur Rackham in my stockroom.  I alerted the management to my discovery (I'm very honest!) and they got it restored.
It turned out that Rackham's sister-in- law was a governor of the school and she had presented it
 many years before.

No comments:

Post a Comment