Monday 3 November 2014

Silent Partner

I went to the excellent 'Silent Partners' exhibition at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge the other week. It's subtitle is ' Artist and Mannequin from Function to Fetish ' and that sums it up, really
It was interesting to see how artists had secretly used mannequins and lay figures instead of humans in the early stages of the exhibition and then gradually the 'silent partner' had begun to take over in their own right and hide no more.
I suppose because some of my work uses puppets and dolls in place of humans, my work falls into the later category.
My ultimate silent partner is Mr Turnip, a puppet from 1950s television who represents my childhood in the painting 'Diamonds'. He then becomes my alto ego in the painting entitled
'The Enigma of the Chinese Mask'
You can see both paintings on the PRINTS FOR SALE section of my website.
And Mr Turnip? Well, he's on my Facebook page this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment