Wednesday 13 August 2014

The Three Bears

I have used the TV puppet, Sooty, several times in my paintings, namely for 'Duet' and 'Offrenda' (you can see the latter in the link from the PRINTS FOR SALE page on my website).
 Visitors to  Ted Coney's Family Portraits  always see the archive material for each painting and the ones using Sooty are no exception. I have a collection of  ephemera dating back 60 years, including puppets, models, books etc.
I already had  Sooty handpuppets from the 1950s and 1980s, so I was delighted to discover a third one from about 1970 in the loft (did we breed it?) recently.
Sooty has gradually transformed from a pale yellow rat like creature into the cuddly orange teddy bear he is today.
I noticed that Sooty has recently returned to television, where he first appeared in the early fifties. To celebrate,  I bought a Sooty comic from the newsagents to add to my collection. (about every ten years it's interesting to see how the style of graphics changes) 

No comments:

Post a Comment