Monday 1 August 2011

Mistaken Identity

I did the Journeys tour this weekend for Ted Coney's Family Portraits and included a painting entitled 'Walking Sticks'. It comprises of four long thin paintings of walks I made with the family in 1986. It reminded me of an amusing event when Imade the sketches for the walk around Holton St. Peter, where we were staying in a cottage. We had just arrived and we made the walk on the first day. Ofcourse the children were quite young ,so I did not have much time for making sketches. (they would be running about, asking irritating questions) I resolved to make the same walk again while Hazel was putting the children to bed that evening. I made some more sketches and had just returned and settled down to a nice glass of wine when there was a knock at the door. There stood two policemen wanting to know who I was. Apparently, someone (from behind a net curtain, no doubt) had reported me acting suspiciously, making notes in a little notebook. As I wasn't wearing a smock and beret and carrying a canvas, I suppose I could have been taken for a burglar.

No comments:

Post a Comment