Thursday 4 August 2011

Paintbrushes At Dawn

The other morning I got up at 4:30am so I could paint the dawn coming up over Ely Cathedral. I had looked at the weather forecast the night before, as I wanted to be sure that it would be clear (you don't get up that time in the morning unless it is for something special). I half expected some policeman to ask me what I was doing, but infact I never saw a soul. I am gradually gathering lots of images of light across the Cathedral's stones and I wanted to see how the dawn light would be different from those I did at sunset. Infact the dawn light made the stones turn orange. The painting will eventually be made from some of these studies and is about my mother and sister-in-law dying and then the birth of two new female members of the family being born about a year later. The painting will be called 'Another Year'

No comments:

Post a Comment